On April 24th the Prince George Lakeland Mill burned to the ground, leaving employee’s, families, and the community distraught. About 24 workers were on shift in the sawmill when the loud explosion shook the building and engulfed it in flames. The men fought through the flames in attempt to escape. This devastating fire took the lives of two men that night. After talking to some friends that had a family member working that night, I began to understand the effect that the fire had on all the workers. Some men were not physically hurt, but the emotional impact was tragic. The workers described the gruesome atmosphere of the fire in many newspaper articles and the community began working together immediately after to raise money for the family’s involved. Only a week after the fire the Lakeland Fire Assistant Fund had reached $50 thousand and has continued growing. As of May 9th the fund has raised more than $100 thousand. On May 15th CNC held a fundraiser raising over $15 thousand, where it was announced that the artists who received honorariums at the Arts and Culture Night that I participated in were donating $1000 to the fund. Also, the store that I work at, Michaels Arts and Crafts, held a fundraiser. We had a table set up where customers could come and make 2 friendship bracelets, one to keep and one that would be given to a family member affected by the fire. Bracelet making was by donation, and I had fun helping out with this event as Miss Teen Prince George! It was amazing seeing how a community can come together in the event of a crisis and be so generous towards one another.
- Click here to apply!
- Click here to view this years winner!
- Click here to view all the latest blog posts on the Miss Teen Blog Network
Miss Teen Videos
Watch the Look Good, Feel Good, Do Good video created by the 2012 Miss Teen contestants! Sponsored by Aveda Institute Canada
- Bells and Bows Bridal - Where Modern Chic meets Timeless Elegance.
- Find Bells and Bows Bridal on Facebook.
- Cardiac Kids is a volunteer group who raise much-needed funds for children who are suffering from congenital heart disease.
- Free The Children is an international charity and educational partner, working both domestically and internationally to empower and enable youth to be agents of change.